By: Throy Catan
Khavn de la Cruz‘s Balangiga: Howling Wilderness won Best Film at this year’s Gawad Urian Awards, which held yesterday, June 14, at the ABS-CBN Vertis Tent in Quezon City.
Other big winners are Abra who named Best Actor for his debut film, Respeto. Best Actress went to Joanna Ampil in a musical flick, Ang Larawan. Odette Khan (Bar Boys) and Dido de la Paz (Respeto) won Best Supporting Actress and Actor, respectively.
Composer Winston Raval was honored with the Natatanging Gawad Urian Award for his contributions to the Philippine film industry.
Here’s the complete list of winners:
- Best Film: Balangiga: Howling Wilderness (Archinette Villamor, Edong Canlas, Khavn de la Cruz, producers)
- Best Director: Arnel Barbarona (Tu Pug Imatuy)
- Best Actress: Joanna Ampil (Ang Larawan)
- Best Actor: Abra (Respeto)
- Best Supporting Actress: Odette Khan (Bar Boys)
- Best Supporting Actor: Dido de la Paz (Respeto)
- Best Screenplay: Christopher Gozum (Dapol Tan Payawar Na Tayug 1931)
- Best Cinematography: Mycko David (Neomanila)
- Best Production Design: Gino Gonzales (Ang Larawan)
- Best Editing: Lawrence Ang (Respeto)
- Best Music: Khavn de la Cruz (Balangiga: Howling Wilderness)
- Best Sound: Corrine de San Jose (Respeto)
- Best Documentary: Victor Delotavo Tagaro and Toshihiko Uriu (Yield)
- Best Short Film: Kiri Dalena (Gikan Sa Ngitngit Nga Kinailadman (From the Dark Depths))
- Natatanging Gawad Urian: Winston Raval