By: Throy Catan
ONCE again, QCinema International Film Festival showcasing Filipino movies together with the finest films from all around the world. QCinema unveils a lineup of films yesterday during the press conference held in Gateway Mall, Cubao.
The said film festival offers over 40 films worldwide ranging from award-winning films to fresh stories from emerging filmmakers.
The Competition Section is divided into three categories: Circle Competition, Asian New Wave, and RainbowQC.
The Circle Competition is a section for independent features of new and seasoned homegrown storytellers where select films are given production grants of one and a half million pesos each. The films are:
- Billie & Emma (Samantha Lee)
- DOG DAYS (Timmy Harn)
- Hintayan ng Langit (Dan Villegas)
- Masla A Papanok (Gutierrez Mangansakan)
- Oda sa Wala (Dwein Baltazar)
The Asian Next Wave has been showcasing award-winning works of Asian filmmakers throughout the years. The dedicated section continues to feature these works from across the continent such as:
- A Land Imagined (Siew Hua Yeo)
- The Seen and Unseen (Kamila Andini)
- Long Day’s Journey Into Night (Bi Gan)
- Malila (Anucha Boonyawatana)
- The Great Buddha+ (Huang Hsin-yao)
- The Third Wife (Ashleigh Mayfair)
In sponsorship with the Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP), QCinema will also give visibility to noteworthy cinematic craftsmanship with a wide array of LGBT international films for its RainbowQC section. Among the featured films are:
- Tinta Bruta (Filipe Matzembacher and Marcio Reolon)
- The Wound (John Tengrove)
- The Heiresses (Marcelo Martinessi)
- Sorry Angel (Christophe Honoré)
- Knife + Heart (Yann Gonzales)
- 1985 (Yen Tan)
QCinema is the official film festival of Quezon City, touted as the “City of the Stars.” It was established in 2013 by the Quezon City Film Development Commission (QCFDC) helmed by Mayor Herbert Bautista and Vice Mayor Joy Belmonte.
The film festival starts on October 21 and ends until October 30. You can watch all the movies from the list in Gateway Mall, Robinsons Galleria, SM City North Edsa, SM Megamall, SM Manila, SM Mall of Asia, Trinoma, and U.P. Town Center. Ticket price is at P 150 per screening.
For more information, visit the QCinema official website.