CONGRESSMAN John Marvin C. Nieto, also know as Yul Servo in the showbiz industry, already proved his potential as a public servant and a legislator representing the Third Congressional District of Manila. He has garnered an extensive array of accomplishments during his term. He sustained his spirited sense of work and charity, but he did not stop there.
Yul Servo as a public servant
Here’s a list of projects he did as a public servant:
- Barangay Infrastructure Program (BIP) – focused on the improvement of basic barangay facilities in the district such as barangay multi-purpose hall, day care centers, etc.
- Local Infrastructure Program (LIP) – the district-based project for the construction and renovation of existing public buildings and other structures through government funds. This includes Padre Mariano Gomez Elementary School, TESDA Training Center, Police Station 3, etc.
- Tulong Panghanapbuhay para sa Displaced (TUPAD) Workers Project – in coordination with the DOLE and the MMDA, wherein previously displaced workers are deployed as street sweepers and helpers for community cleanliness and beautification.
- Angat Pangkabuhayan Program – in partnership with DOLE, which aims to provide additional capital foraround 80 beneficiaries to improve their small business enterprises.
- Government Internship Program (GIP) – a program geared towards the out-of-school youths and fresh graduates who wish to gain their initial work experience and jumpstart their career in government service.
- Lingap Buhay Program – It’s aimed at sustaining the medical attention and treatment of constituents who are confined at key national and local hospitals. It includes medical treatment, laboratory examinations and medicines.
- Araw N’yo, Serbisyo Ko! Todo na Ito! – it offers 17 services, medical, dental, legal consultation, and feeding among others.
Other projects including Yul Now Serving: Lusog-Busog, Sit-Down Meal; Binyagan Tag-Araw: Operation Tuli; People’s Day; Quick Response Operation; Nieto’s Day; Lolola: Todo-Bigay sa Pagpupugay; Dugong Alay, Isang Buhay; Yul Time, Game Time; Palarong Pinoy Fiesta Caravan; Summer Saya; Guro Ko, Hero Ko – Pampering Day; Fun day; A YULetide Season’s Paskuhan sa Distrito Tres – Parol-Making Contest; and many more.
Yul Servo and his life in showbiz
Despite of his busy schedule as a public servant, he still has time for his first love: acting “Siyempre, minsan, passion natin iyung pag-arte… Gusto ko na rin sanang umarte po ng umarte. Pero dahil sa hectic ng schedule ko dahil sa paglilingkod sa bayan, mas priority ko po ito. Pero minsan nakakalabas-labas po ako. Ngayon mas madalas ako sa ABS-CBN. Doon ako madalas ng nabibigyan ng trabaho.” Yul said.
Since he started as an actor, he received several awards and nominations from various award-giving bodies, here and abroad. He grabbed the Best Actor award from Cinemanila International Film Festival 2001 for Lav Diaz‘s Batang West Side, and the Best Supporting Actor Awards from Cinemalaya 2008 for Brutus.
Last August 2017, he was one of the casts in Kiko Boksingero, which won the hearts of many movie-goers. Kiko Boksingero was one of the finalists in Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival. For now, he’s going to appear in the longest drama anthology, Maalaala Mo Kaya.
Aside from him, his sister, Apple Nieto, will run as a city councilor in District 3, Manila.